Wednesday, February 21, 2007

And the north wind ever blows


After Ben squeezed in a religious sunrise surf session at Hilo with whales spouting in the distance, we boarded a metal box that dumped us off in a land of freezing temperatures, tall banks of concrete snow, and hungry moose. It has been a cold slap in the face of how much harder you've got to work to stay alive up here in AK. The last five days have been busy of digging out my Subaru which was buried to the roof, hauling water, fixing the stove pipe which was sacrificed when the cabin roof avalanched, and hauling by hand more firewood to feed the ever hungry stove. In a twisted way I am completely happy when I have to strap on my bunny boots, wrap my scarf around my neck, and pull on the mittens to face the elements and shuttle another load of wood to the furnace, or haul that sled of wood down the path and stack it in wait for the chopping block. Evenings are full of smiles and laughter from friends, slowly spilling stories as we sip wine and warm our bellies with food. In some ways it is a polar opposite way of life than Hawaii, but in others it couldn't be more the same.

No comments: